skip navigation links

Funding for Work

For people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Late-Deafened or Oral Deaf

Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (MCDHH)

Need funding for a hearing aid or other related AT? MCDHH (at provides this AT Web page with numerous useful resource links including: "Financial Assistance for Hearing Aids" (public and private sources), and "Hearing Aid Purchase Plan/Financing Information."

Case Management and Social Services Department: AT Fund

The Case Management and Social Services Department administers the MCDHH Assistive Technology Fund, which is last resort funding for AT for individuals denied services by other sources. See Funding for Home

Department of Interpreter/CART Referral Services

Access to sign language interpreter services and other interpreter/transliterator services, including Communication Access Real-Time Translation (CART); the Department also maintains a fund for the purchase of interpreter and CART services for situations in which no one is legally responsible to pay for the service. See Funding for Home

Communication Access, Technology, and Training Services (CATTS)

CATTS provides technical assistance to organizations and individuals to improve working environments for employees with hearing loss. Advocacy assistance is also available. Read more.

MCDHH's Communication Access, Technology, and Training Services Department (CATTS) provides free technical assistance to workplaces seeking to improve their effectiveness interacting with people who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Employees with hearing loss, employers, and others can call on CATTS to evaluate their work site, review equipment, and provide needed technical recommendations. Advocacy assistance is available for employees who need better accomodations from their employers; and professional and educational in-services and presentations are available to organizations, agencies and business on how to improve their workplace environments. In addition, the Department operates an AT Demonstration Center and provides tours by appointment to help match individuals and organizations with technology solutions.

Who is Eligible?

Individuals, organizations, other state agencies, and businesses all make use of CATTS services free of charge. How are AT Services Provided? CATTS staff evaluate the needs of each requester on a case-by-case basis and make recommendations for and schedule services.

What AT Services are Provided?

Funding for AT is not directly provided. However the Department can help employees access a "reasonable accommodation" by their employer (as mandated by the ADA) and make recommendations for AT.

Contact CATTS:

(617) 740-1600 Voice
(617) 740-1700 TTY
(800) 882-1155 Voice
(800) 530-7570 TTY
CATTS web page

Dial (617) 265-8447
or use the following IP

Close this panel

Additional Funding Options

See "For ALL regardless of disability".